Reporting to the Production Supervisor, the Procurement Estimator will complete estimates on design and printing orders for all City Divisions, Agencies and Corporations, including graphic/prepress, printing, binding and external services, as well as coordinate the process from initiation to completion.
- Consults with and makes recommendations to internal/external clients on layout and design and printing requirements, including project deadlines, production costs, budget limitations and cost effective alternatives.
- Provides clients with design mock-up and production cost estimates based on design, materials and quantities, utilizing the Management Information System (MIS), Avanti. Makes revisions as required and forwards client approved designs for production. Prepares purchasing specifications.
- Determines whether clients’ requirements can be produced in-house or must be out-sourced.
- Coordinates outside purchases including all print processes, print media and paper. Prepares printing/graphics/pre-press specifications within the Avanti system, as well as descriptions and scope of work, including Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Chain-of-Custody requirements.
- Issues competitive Divisional purchase orders within Divisional approved limits and develops specifications for same.
- Provides extensive estimates including graphics/pre-press, printing, binding and external services and maintains supplier database within the Avanti system.
- Processes documents and coordinates proofing sign-off and delivery dates, within clients’ deadlines. Acts as a liaison between the vendor and customer.
- Utilizes Avanti system to prepare and distribute quote letters to clients.
- Coordinates all elements of graphic design/pre-press production with internal/external consultants and suppliers. Coordinates workflow with production and print coordinators.
- Coordinates and monitors each project from concept to final product, for quality budget and timeline controls.
- Prepares relevant paperwork to support outside purchases including purchase orders, work requisitions and graphic supplies and completes work docket requirements.
- Assists with processing production and billing adjustments in the Avanti system. Liaises with suppliers and clients to ensure accurate billing.
- Negotiates pricing with suppliers as a result of changes to client requirements which alter specifications enough to affect costs.
- Provides advice to clients on designs in accordance with budget and time considerations.
- Reviews work for compliance with Corporate and Divisional policies and procedures, and ensures that work is completed on schedule.
- Negotiates with suppliers on expediting orders, including the resetting of suppliers’ priorities and direct deliveries of proofs and/or final product.
- Reviews incoming material and ensures all specifications and standards are met. Follows up with suppliers to resolve any problems and issues encountered.
- Responds to enquiries regarding graphic, printing, binding and external services.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Extensive experience in print and bindery including finishing processes, specifications and tendering procedures.
- Extensive experience analyzing requests, determining the production processes and creating the relevant specifications required to create the product.
- Extensive buying experience (e.g. processing quotations, tenders, proposals, contracts and purchase orders) in a print production environment.
- Considerable experience using a print/estimating Management Information System (e.g. Avanti).
- Considerable experience using MS Office Applications as well as email (e.g. MS Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Considerable experience working with and analyzing digital files (e.g. PDF’s) to identify compatibility with appropriate printing applications.
- Certificate from a recognized purchasing program or the approved equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
You must also have:
- Thorough knowledge of various Acts and regulations governing the public purchasing function (e.g. Sale of Goods Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, City of Toronto Fair Wage/Labour Trades regulations, Federal and Provincial Sales Tax regulations, etc.).
- Knowledge of Purchasing by-laws, policies, applicable legislation and procedures.
- Knowledge of policies, procedures and practices related to procurement.
- Knowledge of FSC certification Chain-of-Custody requirements as it relates to the print industry.
- Strong customer service skills and interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively as an effective team member.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with strong attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines under time constraints in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage a large number of complex projects simultaneously, dealing with sensitive issues as well as specific client and vendor requests.
- Excellent negotiation skills with the ability to exercise professional judgement and conduct.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively and interact professionally with clients, staff, the public and representatives from various Divisions and Agencies.
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential matters.
- Ability to work overtime, as required.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job ID #2267674 Procurement Estimator.